Sunday, July 2, 2017

Review : The Midnight Queen

The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter

Genre: Fantasy, Historical, Magic, Fiction, Young Adult, Adult
Goodreads: Click
Purchase Link: Amazon | Kobo | BN
Pages: 417
Published September 2nd 2014 by Ace
 In the hallowed halls of Oxford’s Merlin College, the most talented—and highest born—sons of the Kingdom of Britain are taught the intricacies of magickal theory. But what dazzles can also destroy, as Gray Marshall is about to discover…
 
Gray’s deep talent for magick has won him a place at Merlin College. But when he accompanies four fellow students on a mysterious midnight errand that ends in disaster and death, he is sent away in disgrace—and without a trace of his power. He must spend the summer under the watchful eye of his domineering professor, Appius Callender, working in the gardens of Callender’s country estate and hoping to recover his abilities. And it is there, toiling away on a summer afternoon, that he meets the professor’s daughter.
 
Even though she has no talent of her own, Sophie Callender longs to be educated in the lore of magick. Her father has kept her isolated at the estate and forbidden her interest; everyone knows that teaching arcane magickal theory to women is the height of impropriety. But against her father’s wishes, Sophie has studied his ancient volumes on the subject. And in the tall, stammering, yet oddly charming Gray, she finally finds someone who encourages her interest and awakens new ideas and feelings.
 
Sophie and Gray’s meeting touches off a series of events that begins to unravel secrets about each of them. And after the king’s closest advisor pays the professor a closed-door visit, they begin to wonder if what Gray witnessed in Oxford might be even more sinister than it seemed. They are determined to find out, no matter the cost.

To be honest this was a cover pick but seriously can you blame me? Look how stunning the cover is, its really beautiful and lovely to have on display on my shelf. So after finishing reading this book I will admit it took a bit to get used to. Not sure if it was just a slow paced book, if I just wasn't in the mood or what. After finding out what the book was about I thought it sounded interesting enough. I haven't read a book with a magic aspects in a while so figured maybe I'd be into it. With how good it was though I think in the near future I will reread this book and maybe my point of view of it will improve with a second look. Doesn't help that I find historical types of book a bit daunting and I don't usually go for that type of book then put in a whole fictional world I'm not familiar with wasn't the best but I'm glad that I got a chance to read this book. The characters were interesting, I loved that there was the dual point of views between Gray and Sophie so I got a bit of insight to their characters. I thought that the various types of magic being used in this book was interesting. You know what it would be hard for me to describe what I did and didn't like about this book without spoiling it for you. But if you were to ask me would it be worth your time to check it out, I would say yes because overall it was a pretty good book in general.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...