Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Review : Shelter Me

Shelter Me by Mina Bennett
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Abuse
Age Group: New Adult
Purchase Links: Amazon
 photo goodreads-badge-add-38px11_zps1ae6e47f.jpg

Blurb:

He's the only thing she has left to believe in...

Marissa was the first person to break Jacob's heart. When they were children, she made it very clear that she wanted nothing to do with him. She didn't mean to, but her mother had ordered her to stay away from her Sunday school crush: "He's a nice boy - don't you ruin him." So she kept her feelings hidden, telling herself that no matter how sweet he seemed, he'd still end up turning on her, like everyone else did.

Jacob never loved anyone like he loved Marissa. He knows he should try to forget about her, especially now that he's engaged and she's happily married - or so everyone says. Even though they've grown and gone their separate ways, in their tightly-knit community, that still means seeing each other at every Sunday service, church picnic and backyard barbecue. He swears that her eyes still have that sad, haunted look, but he manages to keep his distance.

Until one night, when everything changes.

With Jacob's relationship in shambles and Marissa pushed to the breaking point, they're drawn together by an unstoppable force. Temptation is irresistible. Giving in is unthinkable. But it soon becomes clear that nothing - neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation - can keep them apart.

My Thoughts:
Jacob and Marissa has liked each other since they were young but never acted upon it. All Marissa mother would say about their relationship is to not ruin him. So she left him alone rather then ruining. Then when the new youth group leader, Mark, shows some interest and courts her. Things are going fast but that's how things are supposed to be? Things are not as they appear with Mark but everyone approves of their relationship and Mark is supposed to be a good guy. Marissa also isnt the type of girl to stand up for herself.

I liked how unique this book was. First of I haven't read a book like this and it was new and fresh and I absolutely enjoyed it. I hated how much of a pushover Marissa is, I feel like so many women can relate to her. I liked how Marissa developed as a character, at first she was a good character then as things went on it was easy to see how she was changing and not for the better. Then she grew a pair and left. I loved that there was more then one point of view but something was off with Jacobs character POV. I feel like this was one of those books that should have one point of view and just maybe I don't know. I'm trying to think of what to say. I mean I feel like his side really wasn't going anywhere. Maybe this story should've just been her point of view and from time to time the way he acts towards her would hit the love they had for each other. You know what for get I said anything, I'm not even sure if I'm saying what I want to say right. I loved the story line this book was beautiful written. It was easy to connect and relate to the characters.  I thought it was interesting how the author made the one person that a person should care for and trust the one person who isnt as he appears. It was interesting.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and think you readers will too. Highly recommend! 4.5 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...