Friday, February 24, 2017

Review : Things We Lost in the Fire

Things We Lost in the Fire by Mariana Enriquez

Genre: Short Stories, Fiction, Horror
Goodreads: Click
Purchase Links: Amazon | B&N | Kobo
Pages: 208
An arresting collection of short stories, reminiscent of Shirley Jackson and Julio Cortazar, by an exciting new international talent.

Macabre, disturbing and exhilarating, Things We Lost in the Fire is a collection of twelve short stories that use fear and horror to explore multiple dimensions of life in contemporary Argentina. From women who set themselves on fire in protest of domestic violence to angst-ridden teenage girls, friends until death do they part, to street kids and social workers, young women bored of their husbands or boyfriends, to a nine-year-old serial killer of babies and a girl who pulls out her nails and eyelids in the classroom, to hikikomori, abandoned houses, black magic, northern Argentinean superstition, disappearances, crushes, heartbreak, regret and compassion. This is a strange, surreal and unforgettable collection by an astonishing new talent asking vital questions of the world as we know it.

This book was comprised of a bunch of different stories with the common them of being dark and pretty disturbing at times.

It was a cover pick when I gotten ahold of this book and I really didn't read the description because I'm normally not a fan of short stories but I did find myself enjoying a few of the dark,spooky stories. There were a few stories I didn't enjoy and found dull but I found a few Id recommend you check out. Some of my favorites were The Neighbors Courtyard, Adela's House, and Under the Black waves. Those three definitely were creepy and I can't help but laugh at myself because of one of the stories. I had manged to spook myself after reading The Neighbors Courtyard and being in a dark room thinking about that story was not a great mix. These were all truly unique, different, sometimes dull but interesting stories and I can tell you I've never read a book quite like this book.

**I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. **

Mariana Enriquez is a writer and editor based in Buenos Aires, where she contributes to a number of newspapers and literary journals, both fiction and nonfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...