Saturday, September 10, 2016

Review : Tell Me Something Real

Tell Me Something Real by Calla Devlin

Goodreads: Click
Genre: Contemporary, Family Life, Leukemia, Mental Health
Purchase Link: Amazon | B&N
Pages: 304
Three sisters struggle with the bonds that hold their family together as they face a darkness settling over their lives in this masterfully written debut novel.

There are three beautiful blond Babcock sisters: gorgeous and foul-mouthed Adrienne, observant and shy Vanessa, and the youngest and best-loved, Marie. Their mother is ill with leukemia and the girls spend a lot of time with her at a Mexican clinic across the border from their San Diego home so she can receive alternative treatments.

Vanessa is the middle child, a talented pianist who is trying to hold her family together despite the painful loss that they all know is inevitable. As she and her sisters navigate first loves and college dreams, they are completely unaware that an illness far more insidious than cancer poisons their home. Their world is about to shatter under the weight of an incomprehensible betrayal…

Not sure what I was thinking when I first got this book. I think it was maybe the cover of the book that caught my eye or I really like the publisher and based by trust in this book because of that.

This book was pretty interesting. I will admit that this book was pretty slow during the first half, I found that the pace was too slow and I kept loosing interest. After the second half I had a hard time putting the book down. Thing was throughout the book I got the sense that something was off and when the second half of the book came I realized and put the pieces together to see the bigger pictures of what was going on. This book is basically about family life dealing with their mother's cancer and trying to make life as normal as possible with the situation they are in.

The one character I liked best was vanessa. I actually seen a bit of myself in her. Shes selfless putting others before herself, she was the strong on in the family. Even though she was the middle child she took on the role of caretaker in the house caring for her sick mother and making sure the family was in general ok. She didnt' have to do half the things she did, shes a kid and needs to stay there not worry about everyone else. I wishes that the father wasn't so absent in the girls lives, then everything wouldn't have happened the way it did. But then again its a good thing or else this book wouldn't exist. I did worry for the youngest though Marie wondering how everything was going ot impact her but its a good thing she held strong to her faith to seek some sense and guidance though that. When it came to that middle half I was not at all expecting this book to turn out like that it was a pleasant surprised and I learned a bit from it. Overall this was a pretty good book. I'd rate it maybe 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...