Sunday, August 21, 2016

Review : With Malice

With Malice by Eileen Cook

Genre: Contemporary, Thriller, Mystery, Young Adult
Goodreads: Click
Purchase Link: Amazon | B&N
Pages: 316
Published June 7th 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers
It was the perfect trip…until it wasn’t.

Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital room, leg in a cast, stitches in her face and a big blank canvas where the last six weeks should be. She discovers she was involved in a fatal car accident while on a school trip in Italy. A trip she doesn’t even remember taking. She was jetted home by her affluent father in order to receive quality care. Care that includes a lawyer. And a press team. Because maybe the accident…wasn’t an accident.

As the accident makes national headlines, Jill finds herself at the center of a murder investigation. It doesn’t help that the media is portraying her as a sociopath who killed her bubbly best friend, Simone, in a jealous rage. With the evidence mounting against her, there’s only one thing Jill knows for sure: She would never hurt Simone. But what really happened? Questioning who she can trust and what she’s capable of, Jill desperately tries to piece together the events of the past six weeks before she loses her thin hold on her once-perfect life.

I wasn't intending on writing this review at first, I thought I would make this a light read with no real opinion on it but nope. This book was too good to not talk about.

First of all my impression before getting this book was that maybe it was like that Amanda Knox case thing with the American girl killing roommate and some romantic interest go in the way leading towards a death. It was a case that I was interested in a while back ago, not sure how it turned out because it was a long process and I lost interest. I thought that this book had that type of feel towards it so I decided to see for myself.

I loved how carefully thought out this book was. Not only do the readers get the perspective of Jill, but different casefiles of interviews, different talk shows talking about this situation, then there was the random blogger sites that rooted for Justice For Simone.It was interesting getting to see Jills point of view and how unreliable her dreams and what could be memories. Wondering if the things the thought was real made things a bit more interesting. I really liked her roommate Anna as well she was the rock that helped Jill while she was in rehab and was there as a friend to see the realities of what was going on outside, the things her parents weren't telling her that was happening.Oh and that ending, wow wasn't expecting it. Arg I would love to point out more and how everything fit together but can't. I want to so badly because I loved getting those bits to see what was going on.

Overall this was a pretty fantastic book and I'm glad to have a chance at reading this. Haven't read a good mystery book like this in a while.

Tell me what you thought about this book. Did you like the ending? If its a possible spoiler then write *Spoiler Warning* that way readers who haven't read it can skip over those comments because I want someone to speak with about this book. It was pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...