Saturday, November 14, 2015

Blitz : Somewhere in Between


5 Steps for dealing with your office nemesis

The office jerk, every office has one. That one person whose mere presence grates on your nerves every day at work. In my novel SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN, Alex McCabe has the ultimate office nemesis, Gwen “Bitchface” Stephens. Bitchface is not only out to destroy Alex’s career, but her personal life as well.
Dealing with your office nemesis on a daily basis is something we all have to endure. Here is a few tips from me to you on how to deal with the demon spawn and maintain your sanity.
  1. Keep a comeback Journal- Ever have a run in with a particularly hateful work nemesis and froze, only to think of the perfect snappy comeback a few hours too late. Write it down. Cuss that bitch a blue streak in print. It will help to ease the tension in a healthy way that won’t result in you getting fired. (NOTE: Might want to leave the hate journal at home. Keeping the evidence at work is just asking for trouble)
  2. Never show fear- They smell fear and feed off your suffering so kill them with kindness. They won’t know how to respond. The office nemesis only understands bitchy, hateful actions. If buy them a cup of coffee, Say good morning with a cheerful smile. It will confuse them and make you look like a sweetheart to the boss.
  3. Never complain about them during work hours- We’ve all had hard days no and again and need to vent. This is why happy hour was invented! To drink and talk shit about coworkers you don’t like. Save the bitching for the bar.
  4. When in doubt document everything- Don’t bother with the he said she said argument. It never works and makes both parties look childish. When dealing with your office nemesis do so via email or text that way when they try to throw you under the bus later you have everything documented. Can’t argue if it’s in writing!
  5. Never sink to their level- A toxic work environment isn’t good for anyone, no use adding to it. Before long the boss will catch on to the jerks hateful demeanor and take action. You don’t want the jerk to take you down with them.
Well I hope this helps you deal with your office nemesis. Don’t forget to pick up a copy of SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN to see how Alex deals with her office nemesis.
 

Somewhere in Between by Samatha Harris

Published by: Limitless Publishing
Publication date: November 10th 2015
Genres: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance
Goodreads | Amazon

Synopsis:

Alexandra McCabe is disconnected from the world, grieving the loss of her parents…

Content with studying and keeping to herself, Alex has no interest in the campus playboy, Drew Collins, trying to get close to her. But even dousing him with beer doesn’t deter the easy-going charmer, and against her better judgment, the pair fall into a reluctant friendship.

Drew is bored with college life, and Alex’s romantic rejection intrigues him…

Their friendship is good for both of them, but Drew is used to getting what he wants, and he’s tired of shallow sorority girls. He’s much more interested in the feisty redhead, but despite his growing feeling, Alex keeps him firmly in the friend zone.

Old heartaches and new tragedies deepen a complicated relationship…

Whatever life throws their way, Alex and Drew remain best friends with their own traditions. Drew is Alex’s family, her rock, and Alex keeps Drew grounded, always challenging him to better himself.

When years of buried feelings rush to the surface, they threaten to change everything…

Drew promised his mother he’d tell Alex how he feels, when the time is right-but how will he know when that is? Alex is terrified to reveal those ‘three little words’ certain Drew doesn’t feel the same, and she’ll lose the only family she has.

Should Alex and Drew open their hearts, and risk being crushed? Should they be satisfied with a deep, lifelong friendship? Or does the only chance for happiness lie…

Somewhere In Between?

Excerpt:

I walked into Spike’s a half hour later and David was already there with a pitcher of beer and a huge plate of nachos. I gave him a hug, clapping him on the back.
“You look like shit,” he said.
“Thanks.”
“What’s up? Rough night?” He didn’t even know the half of it.
“If we are going to get into this, I’m going to need a shot.” I flagged down the waitress and ordered a shot of Jack Daniels.
“This is serious,” David said.
The waitress came back quickly with my drink and set it down in front of me with a glare. She looked familiar, but I couldn’t place her. I took the shot and waved at the waitress to bring me another.
“Dude, what is with you?”
“Alex. Fucking Alex”
“You’re fucking Alex?”
“What? No! I’m not fucking her. I’m starting to, you know…”
“You’re starting to what?” A ghost of a grin appeared on his face.
“Come on, man. Don’t make me say it.”
“Oh, I’m going to make you say it.”
“I’m starting to have feelings for her, okay, asshole! Is that what you want to hear?” I dropped my head into my hands.
“To be honest, I didn’t think you were capable.”
“Of what? Having feelings? Or falling for her?”
“Falling for her?” he asked. “You said you were starting to have feelings for her. Now you are falling for her?”
“Yeah. So?” I stared down into my beer, unable to look him in the eye.
“So? There is a big difference, man. You have feelings for some nice girl you’ve been out with a few times. You fall for the girl and game over.”
“Look, I don’t know which one it is, okay? This shit is new to me. I don’t do relationships. Hell, I do everything I can to avoid them.”
“That’s for damn sure,” the waitress mumbled, slamming my drink down in front of me.
“I’m sorry. Do I know you?” I snapped.
Her eyes narrowed and she slapped me hard across my cheek. She glared at me for a minute before I noticed her name tag. Tracy. Shit, she was that girl from before the house warming party. Well, that explained the slap. She huffed and stomped off as I pressed a hand to my cheek. I guess I deserved that.
David was trying desperately to contain his laughter and I glared at him as I tossed back the second shot. Odds are Tracy probably spit in it.

Pivot interview with Drew Collins from somewhere in between

I am a huge fan of Inside the Actors Studio. My favorite part of James Lipton’s interviews is when he has his guest answer the Pivot Questionnaire. I thought it would be fun to have my MC Drew Collins from my novel SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEEN answer the questionnaire as well. Let’s see what he has to say.
  1. What is your favorite word? Manwhore. It sounds fun.
  1. What is your least favorite word? Pickle. People use it in weird ways, like describing an uncomfortable situation or as an alternative to penis. A pickle is a pickle people. You eat it. Let’s leave it at that. Plus the smell is rank.
  1. What turn you on creatively, spiritually, or emotionally? Determination.
  1. What turns you off? Timidity. Don’t hide. Be who you are and own it.
  1. What is your favorite curse word? Son of a bitch. It just works in so many situations
  1. What sound or noise do you love? My nephew’s laugh. He is the coolest kid ever.
  1. What sound or noise do you hate? The slow beep of a heart monitor.
  1. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Marriage counselor. Maybe, I can help other people from making the mistake I did.
  1. What profession would you not like to do? High school Teacher. Teenagers are assholes. God knows I was.
  1. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Liquor in the front poker in the back.
Grab your copy of SOMEWEHRE IN BETWEEN for more from my smartass leading man.

Author Bio:

Samatha “Sam” Harris lives near Baltimore, Maryland with her husband David and daughter Ava. Born in Florida, she migrated north which most people agree was a little backwards. She has been an artist all of her life, a Tattoo Artist for more than ten years, and a storyteller since she was a kid.

Sam has a slightly unhealthy love for Frank Sinatra, classic movies, and Jazz and Blues music, but her first love will always be reading. From Romance, to Thrillers, to Historical Fiction and everything in between, she loves to become a part of the story. As a writer she tells the stories that she would want to read.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...