Sunday, April 28, 2013

New Adult

I just wanted to talk a bit about New Adult category for those of you who haven't heard about it or know about it. New Adult is category in which many have trying to figure out where it fits in the whole book system. Some believe that its young adult with mature themes or more like Fifty Shades of Grey-esk kind of book for a younger audience. So I just want to explain it a bit more from what I can gather for those who are just finding out about this New Adult category. 



What is New Adult and where did it come from?

      The word New Adult Fiction came from St.Martins press in 2009 for coming of age readers in their twenties. But even though St.Martins coined the name New Adult Fiction  its been out for a while before then of this in between state but there wasn't a name for it. This type of genre would typically be among the adult section of books being that it would have profanity or sexual situations.

      New Adult is pretty much that blurred line between Young Adult and New Adult from the age groups of 18-30 depends on who you ask. Its that phase where young adults are graduating high school where they may go to college or have a job or looking for love or themselves. You don't just go from young adult to adult, these books are a bit of where they learn to grow up. It also has a bit of mature themes like sex and profanity.


What are the common themes of New Adult?

      New Adult pretty much tackles issues like: sexuality, drug use, alcohol, living on your own, college life,  first serious relationships, first serious jobs, struggles, family life. 


My Opinion

      As a person who's been readings New Adult novels for almost a year now it wasn't until I got my Kindle Fire HD  for Christmas that my love of that genre came out. If you haven't noticed there are so many new adult books are free or are like .99 - 3.99 which ended up with me ordering tons of new adult novels. Which is pretty convenient since college and my other expenses aren't going to pay for themselves and those sales come in handy for my book fix.

       I've been out of high school for a while now and I'm well in my college phase as much and as I love reading YA it isn't doing much for me anymore, and I just couldn't get into adult novels talking about children, living the domestic life or divorce. (I know that most adult books aren't like that but the ones that I've come across are not that interesting or about those three I mentioned.) Since I can't relate to it so its hard for me to get into it.

( If you have a recommendation to an adult novel please let me know. Leave a comment below )

      I'm 24 years old and lately I find it hard to read a story about a whiny, hormonal, obsessive 15-year old  who's looking for love and would be suicidal if they don't get the one they want or what they want. I just wanna smack the character and yell at her to get a hold of yourself! They have so much more important things they should be doing rather than whining about the guy they love shaking up with the school bimbo.

       Anyways, I want to read something I can relate to, something my age group going through problems I may face or have faced. Even if it was fictional I liked getting different view points of situations and learned from many of the characters.


If you are looking for a good new adult novel or want me to convert you to being a New Adult geren lover I insist you read one of the following books:




Jessica's new-adult-recommendations book montage

Where She Went
If I Stay
The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden
Taking Chances
Bad Rep
Someone to Love
Shattered Promises
Just One Day
Hopeless
The Edge of Never
If You Stay
Wreck Me
In the Air
One Week Girlfriend
Beautiful Mess
Ember X
Waiting on Forever


Jessica Figueroa's favorite books »

Of all these my favorites are: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, Edge of Never, Coincidence of Callie and Kayden and Secret of Micha and Ella by Jessica Sorensen.

I have these book and if you are interested, I'll lend them out to you through Kindle Lending system for the ones that are Kindle/Ebooks version. Just leave a comment below and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...